This past Sunday we stepped into the story of David’s preparations for the building of a Temple to the Lord. Having been told his son Solomon would be the one to do the building, King David gathered and contributed all of his own resources for the actual construction. He encouraged the people to bring whatever they could, and they responded with great generosity.
Then King David prayed a deeply moving prayer giving praise and thanks:
“O our God, we thank you and praise your glorious name! But who am I, and who are my people, that we could give anything to you? Everything we have has come from you, and we give you only what you first gave us!”
I Chronicles 29: 14
David understood that everything he and his people had came from the hand of a loving and faithful God.Everything given to build the Temple had come to them from Him. They were only giving it back.
We would do well to remember David’s words:
There is nothing we have that has not come to us from the Lord - beginning with our very lives. As Pastor Doug said, there isn’t anything wrong with having things, it’s the place they hold in our hearts that makes the difference. Perhaps that’s best determined by our generosity - something that doesn’t come naturally to most of us. We enjoy giving gifts, but we tend to put limits on our giving - often not wanting to give more than what feels comfortable.
We have One who has given us an example in giving that goes beyond anything we can imagine:
• love that never fails
• peace in the midst of the storms that would overwhelm you
• hope when everything looks darkest
• joy birthed in sorrow
• healing for the sickness that knows no cure
• mending for broken hearts
• mercy undeserved
• forgiveness - no matter what
• freedom from the failures of the past
• a slate wiped clean of guilt and shame
• grace and strength for all of your moments
• faith to vanquish all your fears
• the breaking of chains that bind you
• rest from the battle
• songs to lift your spirit
• marriages made whole and families restored
• help in time of trouble
• words that are living and true
• promises never broken
• eternity settled
All of these gifts, and more, come wrapped in the person of Jesus Christ - the One given to us in love.
“Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or [a]shifting shadow.” James 1:17